If you rarely use your balcony, especially in summer, you are not alone. Many people don’t focus on their balcony. But, the fact is balcony is a beautiful extension of the home. With some efforts, summer plants, and a little imagination, you can turn this overlooked space into a beautiful area of your home where you will love to spend time.
A balcony garden can be a great way to transform the boring balcony into an exciting place. Depending on your choice, you can spend a lot of money or can create a garden on a balcony within a small budget. Most of the things depend on space, light, sun exposure, and your interests.
Before you go ahead, it is essential to understand that balconies are microclimates. Basically, the climate of balconies is somehow different on the ground. If the area is covered, there is one climate, if another area is unwrapped and bare to the sun, there is a different climate. Fortunately, you have beautiful plants for almost every kind of balcony. All you need to make the right decision keeping in mind important factors to make a stunning balcony garden. If you take time to focus on the conditions of the garden, things can be done perfectly.
Below are 6 balcony garden tips for summers –
- If you have an open balcony facing south or west, you need to pick some heat and drought tolerant beautiful plants. There are many kinds of heat-loving flower plants available to decorate the balcony area in summer. Pick the plants according to the size, type, and your personal choices.
- No matter what kind of plants you have on the balcony, they can be lifeless without sufficient water. It is better to water the plants two times a day. You can water the plants early in the morning or in the evening. Never water the plants directly in sunlight as it could increase the dampness for plants.
- In the summer season, the moisture of the plans is vanished very quickly, especially when the plants are under direct sunlight. If you have clay pots, your plants can dry out very easily. To maintain loveliness and extend the life of the plants, it is essential to protect the moisture of the soil. You can cover the pots with a wet cloth. You can use some products that guard the moisture of the plants.
- If it is not possible to avoid the direct sunlight permanently, you can cover the balcony in the hot hours using a cloth or shade, etc. In the market, you can find so many inexpensive yet good quality products to wrap the balcony. It will also help to keep your house cool.
- Summer is a great time for flowers to blossom. But, direct heat and sunlight can burn the plants. If the plants on your balcony are suffering from the heat, try to change their position and keep them under the shade.
- You can add some granules over the soil to protect the moisture in the soil. Use organic granules to defend your plants.
Using these tips may help you to maintain a healthy and beautiful balcony garden in summer!